Falling Flat

Topshop Coat | Zara Top |

Topshop Faux-Leather Trousers

| Zara TRF bag |

Topshop Slip-Ons

I am a heel-o-holic.

Not in an stereotypical WAG-in-stripper-heels kind of way. Not in the same way some girls pull big shapes to try and get their red-soled Louboutin's into shot.

I'm more of a Carrie Bradshaw getting all flustered over Manolos.

Pointed courts, strappy sandals, or heeled boots- obviously they can look beautiful. But for me it's more about how they make you

feel

rather than how they

look

High heels give you that confidence (dare I say, sass? ok, too much) that you just don't get from wearing flats. Unless of course, you are a bit of a Bambi-on-ice when heeled- in which case confidence is probably reduced to the minimum.

So my issues with flats?

1. Sassy stride becomes a bouncy little stomp.

2. Say it with me:

thunder thighs

(although this coat does wonders for hiding them!). My legs turn into short, dumpy tree trunks.

But here I am, in all of my 5 ft 3 glory, embracing the flat shoe trainer trend in the form of faux-Celine checked slip-ons from Topshop.

And you know what?

I sort of love it.

Thanks to

that

Chanel Couture show, Phoebe Philo, Cara Delevigne and the retro revival of 90s sportswear, the whole idea of when and where you can wear flat shoes- especially trainers- has been redefined.

Sure, there is a fine line between casual chic and looking all a little bit too Lily Allen circa 2006, but the right kind of flats can add an urban edge to classically dressed up looks. (By the way, this is no dig at Lily Allen, I have a lot of respect for that woman, just trainers and prom dresses were never my thing.)

Looks like I'll be falling flat this season. Topshops Celine-esque slip ons are fast becoming my favourite shoe staple.

1. Blonde Canvas10/02/2014, 19:35

Love everything your wearing! xwww.blondecanvas.blogspot.co.uk

2. i love your coat! gorgeous outfit :)Rachel xStyle Soup

3. Oh that coat is simply to die for! Perfect casual yet chic outfit xx fashionvitae.blogspot.com

4. Michelle / Daisybutter10/02/2014, 19:57

Love that coat. I think you pull off the whole sports-esque flats thing pretty well! Although I so feel you on the way heels make you feel and stand.

5. Amazing coat! You look goooood in flats, def think you have pulled them off :-)fashiontatt.blogspot.com

6. Eden Simpson10/02/2014, 21:18

Love this look, I almost picked up that clutch in the sale, wish I did now- you rock it well!.http://www.styleandbeautyforless.co.uk/

7. Jenna Nicholls10/02/2014, 21:22

Girl, you look good in anything!Jennajennanicholls.blogspot.co.uk x

8. Polly Edmondson10/02/2014, 21:47

Those shoes are lovely, and they look so comfy!x http://in-my-fashion-pocket.blogspot.co.uk/

9. Charmaine Cowland11/02/2014, 07:18

Gorgeous coat!

10. Sophie Ruffell11/02/2014, 10:16

Really lovely outfit.Love the coat!DarlingSophie

11. Love this look, your coat and shoes are amazing!x- Jayne electra-violet.blogspot.co.uk

12. fashioncrossing11/02/2014, 17:22

love this whole outfit. Also loving the flat shoes / skater shoes trend.. can't get enough!Belinda | Fashion Crossing

13. Hannah Hobson11/02/2014, 21:44

In love with that coat and those slip ons!Perfect outfit. fashionas-art.blogspot.co.ukHannah xo

14. Your oversized coat looks fantastic, love the savvy styling.

15. I absolutely love your coat!Lucia's Loves x

16. As a girl of only 5", I totally understand the necessity of a heel! But amazzzzing outfit as usual!Emmie xxwww.topknotfringeandawhatnot.blogspot.co.uk